Brunswick to Atlanta to New York City to Paris to Yaoundé.
In less than one week I will board a plane, and my luggage and I will ultimately be destined for Cameroon.
For all those prone to worry: I have received more vaccinations than I care to remember, begun taking my malaria medication, packed my book entitled "Africa: Healthy Travel," consulted with my friends who have traveled in similar places, read countless articles and books on the area, and been blessed by not one, but two pastors. And I've got my Sewanee Angel to boot. I'm going to be fine.
For all those who want to live vicariously through me: I don't blame you. : ) I'm going to be more than fine - I'm going to be positively wonderful, because I've been waiting for this moment for a long, long time.
I love you all, and I'll be thinking of you over the coming months. Check here periodically for updates and pictures, and I'll see you in May.
Information about Cameroon:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cm.html
Information about my study abroad program:
http://www.sit.edu/studyabroad/ssa_cmr.htm
Tentative Itinerary:
Segment One: A week of orientation in Yaoundé.
Segment Two: Two weeks of Development and Social Change seminars, Field Study seminars, French classes and Homestay in Yaoundé.
Segment Three: Two weeks in the cities of Dschang and Bamenda (DSC, French and FSS classes).
Segment Four: 10 days in Yaoundé visiting local and International Organizations and NGOs and looking at their efficiencies, activities and challenges, and doing preliminary ISP research and identifying contacts.
Segment Five: Excursion in Kribi with a field visit to the pipeline project or the pygmies.
Segment Six: Two weeks in Ngaoundere looking at the social change of traditional powers and the impact and consequences of Islam and Fulbe domination and colonization. Students also finalize their ISP proposal.
Segment Seven Independent Study Project.
Segment Eight: Presentation of ISP, evaluation of the program.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ah! It's getting close to time to go! I've been preparing in similar ways -- last night I stayed up way too late reading Russian jokes and looking through forums.
ReplyDeleteI'm really not looking forward to my upcoming plane ride.